Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sickness & Mad Men

Well, we had yet another late morning and I feel absolutely awful. Laura came up with a great plan for us to do everything we want to do over the next 3 or 4 days. It's been sunny all week, but when I looked up the weather for next week it was supposed to be cloudy and possibly rainy Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. So now I am a little worried that we won't be able to do everything I want to do even though we have had so much free time and late start mornings.

We headed out to an outdoor market that's only open on Saturdays. However, I was coughing for the whole metro ride and when we got to the market stop I could not stop coughing and my eyes were watering and I felt like I was dying. Then Laura had to play Mom and told me we should just go home and that it would be OK to have a down day. I told her I'd been doing everything I could not to get sick, taking garlic, and drinking tea, drinking OJ by the liter. I asked her what else I could possibly do to get better and she said, "REST". I said, "Something fun that will help me get better." But she insisted that I needed rest so I finally gave in and we went straight back home. I securely fastened myself to the couch and we both sat in front of the TV watching most of the 1st season of Mad Men.

Mad Men...is great. Luckily for us, Hakan has the entire 1st and 2nd season, and I've only seen the first two episodes of the first season. Laura's seen the whole first season but was fine watching it again. We got through I think about 7 hours (7 episodes). It's crazy addictive and the more I watch the more I love as the story gets more complicated. I've wanted to watch the show for a long time, or at least since I saw a couple of episodes at Lindsay's in NYC last December. So, as far as being sick goes, drinking soup and orange juice and having a Mad Men marathon wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Eventually the gang came back home, and Daniel, Hakan, Laura, and I watched a Dane Cook performance. I'd already heard probably 1/3 of the jokes, but it was pretty funny. I like Dane Cook, but the best part for me was how hard Daniel and Hakan were laughing, it was really funny.

And that was the whole day. We literally did nothing except watch hours and hours of Mad Men and Dane Cook. It was great.

1 comment: